So you’re ready to give your bathroom a facelift and all of the DIY makeover shows on HGTV have your wheels turning. But are you able to take on a full bathroom remodel by yourself? How much of the work can you tackle on your own, and which projects need professional attention? At Booher Remodeling Company, we would love to take on your bathroom remodel from start to finish but we know that there are a few tasks that are better suited for DIY. Here is a breakdown to give you an idea.
- Hardware Swap- By following simple instructions, you can easily change out your faucets, towel racks, shower heads, and cabinet knobs on your own.
- Lighting Update- Updating existing lighting features is easy to DIY, as long as you use caution and follow the instructions. Replace an outdated sconce with a new model, or insufficient over-the-sink lights with a fixture that has more bulbs.
- New Toilet- Know how to turn off the water to the toilet, and be sure the tank is emptied before removal. You will need a new wax ring to seal the plumbing, and some muscle to lift and position the porcelain throne, but this can be done on your own.
- Paint- Such an easy way to transform a bathroom. Opt for semi-gloss. High gloss paint is fine too, but satin and anything more matte won’t perform as well in a moist and humid environment.
Hire a Pro
- Reconfiguring the Layout- Relocating or replacing the plumbing isn’t necessarily easy for the everyday DIYer, especially when access to the pipes is limited. Leave this one up to the pros to be certain that the job is up to code.
- Running New Electrical- Be safe and hire an electrician. All outlets will need to be GFCI, and any electrical running near your shower will have to be safe-checked.
- Installing a Heated Floor- Heated bathroom floors are great, but should be handled by a professional because of the electrical component. You can often tell a difference between a DIY and a professionally tiled floor so, while you can DIY the tile portion, you should consider having a professional finish it off.
If you are confident in your DIY skills, then more power to you! But if you need a pro for any step in your bathroom remodel project, contact Booher Remodeling at (317) 852-5546. We serve the Indianapolis area, including Zionsville, Brownsburg, Castleton, and Meridian Hills.