Making eco-friendly choices during home remodeling is not only good for the planet, but it’s also better for your health and, in the long run, for your pocketbook. We at Booher Remodeling Company
have put together some tips to help you make your next kitchen remodeling a little greener.
The first step in kitchen remodeling is working with a kitchen design expert
who can help you make decisions regarding the layout and look of your kitchen. Not all renovations have to be complete gut jobs. In fact, reusing or repurposing some of the elements in your existing kitchen would be a great eco-friendly choice. Some examples of green kitchen design include:
- Wood floors can be refinished instead of replaced.
- Kitchen cabinets that are in good condition can be professionally painted and have the hardware changed, or the cabinet doors and drawers can be changed to a more modern style.
- If the kitchen is being gutted, the layout can be changed to make the most of any natural light coming into the space.
- Materials and finishes such as countertop materials, tile, and flooring can be sourced from environmentally responsible companies.
- The design can include a recycling center and convenient location for a small compost bucket.
As with eco-friendly bathroom remodeling
, water conservation in the kitchen is simple. Low-flow kitchen faucets and Energy Star qualified dishwashers can help reduce your water consumption and your bills.
The main way to conserve energy in the kitchen is to choose lighting fixtures and appliances that are energy efficient. The easiest way to do this is to look for the Energy Star label on appliances to find out their rating. Energy Star
is a program from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency which helps individuals find products with superior energy efficiency. Whether you are undertaking a kitchen renovation, bathroom remodeling
, or a whole-home remodel, making eco-friendly choices simply makes sense. Contact
Booher Remodeling Company at (317) 852-5546
to schedule a home design consultation with us in Indianapolis, Carmel, and the surrounding area.